Re: CVE-2021-4034: why is pkexec still a thing?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:19 PM Steve Grubb <sgrubb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Mirek,
>
> This is the most constructive reply I've seen in this thread.
>
> On Monday, January 31, 2022 1:12:50 PM EST Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> > > But doesn't satisfy our security requirements. If the kernel dbus project
> > > had been successful, then Linux would have had a rock solid basis to
> > > allow impersonation which would satisfy the security requirements and
> > > allow the desktop actually go through a common criteria certification if
> > > any one ever  wanted to do that. But as it stands, anything created by
> > > IPC is missing the necessary security context.
> >
> > I mean, yes. I read that as not a reason to stick with set-uid, but as a
> > reason to make that a priority, and drive the investment and the cultural
> > change; otherwise Linux security is just going to keep falling behind. OTOH
> > with the consolehelper history and a lot of similar examples, I don’t know
> > how to do any of that (make it a priority, drive the investment, drive the
> > cultural change).
>
> Linux needs a first class impersonation mechanism. This would be where the
> kernel bestows upon a process, certain attributes from another process. Both
> sides should agree so that no toke kidnapping is possible or forcing
> credentials on an unsuspecting process. With something like this, we can
> start to solve the security problems caused by IPC instantiation. I was
> really hoping kernel dbus was successful way back when.
>

> > > And access decisions do not go through the audit system.
> >
> > For polkit, that would be… a 20-line patch?
>
> Probably a little more. The auditing would need to be selective and by admin
> control. Meaning, the admin may decide that they want auditing of one
> application's permission grants and not the other.
>
> > Sure, the invoking user’s configuration can be trusted only to the extent a
> > D-Bus server provides it correctly to Polkit, making the D-Bus servers a
> > part of the trusted codebase. Still, that would be pretty valuable at least
> > until the first successful exploit.
>
> I was hoping with kernel dbus, polkit would have examined the connections
> itself and asked the kernel for veracity of the request. I really wished that
> was given another try and everyone agreed on why it was necessary so that it
> could be articulated well to the people that have to say yes/no to the patch.

An in-kernel first-class IPC would make tremendous inroads in Linux
security, but who is going to drive that anymore? Bus1
(https://bus1.org/) hasn't been touched since 2019. Bus1 had an RFC in
2016 on LKML[1] and that's it.

We *could* use Binder, but there's a general lethargy around trying to
leverage stuff from the Android/ChromeOS ecosystem to benefit regular
Linux systems. We *do* have it enabled in our kernel, but that's
mainly for the eventual support of Waydroid in Fedora Mobile.

So what should we do? I don't know. It seems the answer everyone else
offers is "give up". I don't like that answer, but what else can we
do?

[1]: https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/10/26/963