Re: CVE-2021-4034: why is pkexec still a thing?

On Mon, 2022-01-31 at 10:19 +0000, Michael J Gruber wrote:
> I vaguely remember we had a move off consolekit at some point: In 2016, I moved "luckybackup" away from "beesu" (which uses consolekit) to "pkexec" (from polkit).
>
> We still have "beesu" in Fedora. Should I switch back? ;)

No. The issue is not that pkexec is inherently worse than any other
tool to do approximately the same thing (prompt for some kind of
password, then run the entire app as root) - it's unfortunate that
pkexec happened to have a giant security flaw, but it's not unlikely
that other tools to do the same thing will turn out to have security
flaws if someone decides to take a close look at them. The issue is
that *that whole design* is suboptimal.

What we really wanted to happen with the switch was for apps that need
higher privileges for some operation to be rewritten such that they
could use polkit to signal a more privileged executable (ideally one
that *already runs* privileged, so there's no greater attack surface
than before) to perform that operation, and otherwise run unprivileged.

pkexec was a less-good second choice option for apps where there didn't
seem to be much prospect of anyone doing the work to move to a better
design. It at least let us get rid of consolehelper from most
installations, so we had fewer 'run-this-thing-as-root' tools to worry
about. Switching from pkexec to any other 'run-this-thing-as-root' tool
would not be an improvement. Moving to a more sophisticated design
using polkit's other capabilities would be an improvement.

I wouldn't consider a non-default leaf package that's probably not very
widely installed to be much of a priority in any case. We still
actually have several things in the distro that never moved off
consolehelper! Things that are default parts of our key editions and
spins would be much higher priority for this.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA