Re: ROCm-Device-Libs packaging question

Dne 21. 01. 22 v 23:22 Jeremy Newton napsal(a):
In order to update "rocm-runtime" to the latest, it requires a new package "ROCm-Device-Libs" as a build requirement.
The issue is that the project installs files into /usr/amdgcn, which seems incorrect to me based on the FHS and Fedora guidelines. Here's the upstream for reference:
https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm-Device-Libs

I made a test package but to get it to pass rpmlint, I patched it to put amdgcn in "share/amdgcn" and made it a noarch package because it doesn't compile any cpu specific code. I proposed to upstream to make this change and it seems they don't agree and strongly prefer putting the files in "lib/amdgcn".

It seems the files are bitcode to be used with clang, so the binaries are not traditional libraries. At the moment these files are CPU arch independent, but they said they might want to add some x86 bit code later.

I guess I have a few questions:
- does bitcode belong in lib? share? Does it matter if these libraries are bitcode or not?

I think that generally, if you don't know if the code is arch specific or not, the /lib is better place. And there are examples such as Python, which is using /lib for noarch code.

- if they were to add x86_64 bitcode, would it then belong in lib64? What about GPU related bitcode?

I don't think we have any dedicated space. The closest example I might think of are various firmwares which are shipped in Fedora. Grep across all Fedora specs [1] revealed quite some examples:

~~~

$ grep -R firmware | wc -l
1276
~~~

- If no debug info is generated, does this automatically make it a noarch package? I don't think bitcode would generate debug information regardless of arch

These are unrelated. The typical example of arch specific package without debuginfo is "filesystem". There is no arch specific code, but arch specific content.

- Would lib/amdgcn would be ok if it's noarch?

Probably?

- is this a fesco worthy question?

At this stage, I think you are at the right place to make your mind prior you have any specific proposals which could be judged by FESCo or FPC.

HTH

Vít

[1] https://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/repo/rpm-specs-latest.tar.xz