Re: rpm packages of thunderbird/firefox extensions

On 06/23/2005 06:00 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
Is it possible to create rpm packages of thunderbird and firefox extensions? I'd like to install some global extensions on each of our machines and I'd prefer to have rpms, but not sure how it would interact with or replace the -install-global-extension option. Perhaps fedora-packaging is a better place to ask?

Is it possible? Yes. Is it easy? Not really, due to the way that the extension manager works in Firefox 1.0 -- the extension manager in Firefox 1.1 is much nicer and works better with Linux. I also don't provide devel packages for either because of some packaging conflict issues with the mozilla package, so it is slightly more difficult as well.

I'm actually working on packaging up Deer Park Alpha 1, which is a very early alpha release of Firefox 1.1, which should hit rawhide soon. I will also get preview builds of xulrunner which should help to alleviate this problem. I hope the situation will be much nicer for FC5.

It might be nice for fedora extras to be able to provide extensions as well.

Sure, I would hope that once our picture is better, we get a lot of extensions in Extras.