Re: F36 Change: Authselect: Move State Files to /etc (Self-Contained Change proposal)

Dne 20. 01. 22 v 14:53 Pavel Březina napsal(a):
On 1/20/22 12:52, Vít Ondruch wrote:
I have naive question why these files are not static and in /usr.

I mean, I am pretty sure I won't run `authselect select --force` or anything similar any time soon. So why the configuration is not static, generated at build time, not having anything in /etc unless somebody really wants to change something.

The files are not static at all, they are change with different kinds of authselect calls:

- user wants to use different profile then default: authselect select
- enable/disable single feature: authselect enable/disable-feature

As I said, the above is not my case and I'd say not case for most of Fedora users.

- apply changes when package is updated: authselect apply-changes

Why is this needed? In which packages? Why simply not apply the changes regardless of the previous state?

- apply changes when you modify your custom profile: authselect apply-changes

This is again belongs to the initial group.

They remembers how the current configuration looks like so we can check if user modified nsswitch and PAM configuration on their own or not.

"user modified nsswitch and PAM configuration" is not thing I do. The only time I needed to touch nsswitch configuration was always because the configuration was screwed up by some updates, not by me.

IOW, from users perspective, the configuration is static. If installation/updates changes the configuration, then it is again static from user perspective. So I still don't see the need to have the configuration files around by default.

Also, I think this proposal is focusing on wrong aspect, i.e. moving files around from one location to another. It would be much better to remove their need.

Vít