Re: gcc-12.0.0-0.4.fc36 in rawhide

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 12:32 PM Jakub Jelinek <jakub@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 12:27:15PM -0600, Justin Forbes wrote:
> > > gcc 12 snapshot has landed as the system compiler into rawhide today.
> > > GCC 12 is going to enter its stage4 development phase (only regression
> > > and documentation bugfixes allowed) on Monday 17th, so there should be
> > > just those bugfixes and not new features etc. anymore.
> > > https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-12/changes.html lists important changes,
> > > most important is probably that vectorization is enabled at -O2 now
> > > which is the option with most of the distribution is built with.
> > >
> > > https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-12/porting_to.html is so far incomplete and lists
> > > some cases where people need to adjust their code.  Other things
> > > include the usual C++ header changes, where previously some standard
> > > header included some other header as an implementation detail but it doesn't
> > > any longer and so code that relied on such indirect include that isn't
> > > required by the standard needs to include the header that provides whatever
> > > it relies on.  Or e.g. packages using -Werror where new warnings are
> > > reported with the newer compiler and -Werror results in build failures.
> > >
> > > If there are bugs on the compiler side, please let me know immediately,
> > > so that those bugs can be fixed before the mass rebuild next week.
> > >

> > I suppose I should have checked fedora-devel before trying to chase
> > down build failures as kernel merge window issues.  Kernel builds are
> > failing in a few places (depending on arch).
>
> For kernel, the only bug on the GCC side I'm aware of is
> https://gcc.gnu.org/PR101941

We are seeing similar issues in a few different files depending on
arch.  Largely due to options compiled in and compile order, nothing
particularly arch specific.  All of the failures are with
fortify_string, some are read beyond size of object.  Some are write
beyond size of object.  Some are directive output may be truncated.
These kernels all build fine against f35 and stable fedora kernels
fail against rawhide, so it is definitely the toolchain changes, and
not limited to bad code brought in through the 5.17 merge window.  A
good sampling of the errors can be seen in the build log for
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=81369256 with most
arches failing in different places.

Justin