Re: Workflow and other problems with the Fedora container infrastructure

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 11:51 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 01:02:59PM +0100, Lumír Balhar wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > My name is Lumír and I maintain a few layered container images in
> > Fedora/RHEL/upstream related to Python and S2I (source to image) platform -
> > namely python3, s2i-core, and s2i-base.
> >
> > TL;DR: We (maintainers of layered container images for languages, runtimes
> > and databases) are considering migrating our images from Fedora
> > infrastructure and Fedora containers registry somewhere else. Below are the
> > reasons for that. If you think it’s a bad idea, let us know why. If you are
> > a user of those images, let us know as well so we can stay in touch with
> > you.
> >
> > Forgive me for my wording but I’m really sad about the current situation.
>
> yeah, it is sad. ;(
>
> > I have to honestly admit that I’m disappointed about the lack of attention
> > containers in Fedora are getting. Maintaining them is painful,
> > infrastructure is unstable and unreliable and there was literally no
> > movement forward in recent years. Let me summarize it.
> >
> > Container SIG is inactive. See important issues opened for years with no
> > movement further: https://pagure.io/ContainerSIG/container-sig/issues
> >
> > Even a simple task like merging rawhide branch to f35 for example is far
> > from smooth because they are never the same, because manual changes are
> > required for each branch:
> > https://pagure.io/ContainerSIG/container-sig/issue/16 (3 years old, no
> > reply)
> >
> > S2I container images depend on each other (python3 -> s2i-base -> s2i-core)
> > but there is no automation for chain rebuilds so if I want to update
> > s2i-core image (to fix a CVE or something like that) and all dependant
> > images, it takes weeks because I have to rebuild them one by one and let
> > them one by one pass through Bodhi updates until I can rebuild next one in
> > the queue. And it’s really frustrating given the insufficient stability of
> > the infra. There seems to be a way how to make this faster, but nobody
> > knows, how it works: https://pagure.io/ContainerSIG/container-sig/issue/52
> > and https://github.com/containerbuildsystem/atomic-reactor/issues/1730
> >
> > The same applies also if the fix is done on the RPM level because there are
> > no freshmaker nor automated rebuilds.
> >
> > The branching structure does not really fit container needs. I maintain the
> > s2i Python container and I don’t really care whether it’s based on Fedora 34
> > or 35 (both have Python 3.10 as the main one) so I’d ideally have one branch
> > for Python 3.10, one for 3.9 etc. instead of two separated branches (f34,
> > f35) where the Python is the same version.
> > https://pagure.io/ContainerSIG/container-sig/issue/12 (3 years old)
>
> Yeah, I think all the above is kind of a consequence of there not being
> a active containers SIG. Infrastructure and releng doesn't really have
> cycles or interest in driving containers forward, so it needs some other
> [...]

One of the things that has recently happened in the Koji space is the
addition of a kiwi-build task to build images using the KIWI tool[1].

KIWI supports building all kinds of operating system images, including
OCI containers. The Fedora Cloud WG is poking at the idea of using
KIWI for the cloud image to replace the unmaintained and brittle
ImageFactory, and we could also look at doing container builds with
KIWI to replace the OpenShift Atomic Reactor system. That would
drastically simplify the architecture and make container image builds
considerably more reasonable for the Container SIG and any other
stakeholders.

[1]: https://osinside.github.io/kiwi/