Re: Bugzilla email confirmation notices from FAS

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 11:58:36AM -0500, Christopher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today, I received an email from fas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the subject
> line "Fedora Account System: please verify your Bugzilla email
> address". This email has a unique link to accounts.fedoraproject.org.
>
> Based on the context, it seems legitimate. However, I noticed that
> clicking the link will take you to a sign-in page asking for
> credentials to your account. That seems strange to me, because it
> already has a unique link that's associated with the verification of a
> specific email in a specific FAS account, so asking for credentials
> should be completely unnecessary here. Asking for credentials makes
> this appear to be a phishing attempt, because that's how a phishing
> email would behave (appearance of legitimacy, requesting credentials
> when not needed).
>
> I think the FAS developers should remove the requirement to sign-in
> for these verification emails, to reduce the appearance/behavior of
> phishing. The email itself says these emails are "To improve
> security". If that is a goal, then Fedora systems should avoid
> training users to supply credentials when not needed.

This was a one off thing, which I suggested we do to be nice and avoid
problems for people, but perhaps it was misguided and we shouldn't have
done it.

We moved to a new account system last year, and it has a 'bugzilla'
field. Unfortunately, we didn't have cycles to start actually using that
field at the time we switched. Shortly after we started looking into
using it, but we realized that there was no validation for it. This
wouldn't be acceptable, so we implemented a verification setup on it
that was much like the one for the primary email address.

However, 161 people had entered email addresses that were not their
primary ones. We were going to just clear them all out and announce that
folks with these should reenter and validate them, but I suggested we
could simply trigger a validation cycle on them. That would likely have
more folks see the email and validate it, where they might miss a
announcement.

Anyhow, this was a one time script thing, it won't run again.

kevin