Re: F36 Change proposal: No ifcfg by default (Self-Contained Change)

Hello,

I represent one of system integrators (Foreman configuration and provisioning management open source project). Thanks for the info.

I would like to ask for taking into consideration shipping some kind of syntax validation tool that could be executed to validate syntax of the new-style configuration. It would be important to have it implemented in a way that it does not require running NetworkManager, so users could actually use it even within kickstart %post section. We are not only interested in pure syntax check, but also semantic validation - depending on NetworkManager version, many of values are not considered valid and NetworkManager fails to bring connection up.

If such tool would have support for multiple versions of NetworkManager, like ksvalidator do, that would be the best possible user experience. One could easily check if a configuration is valid for particular NM version (thus Fedora or RHEL version). In addition, if such a tool was distributed as a subpackage, we could totally integrate this into our CI suite to regularly test our provisioning templates responsible for generating NetworkManager configurations. A precedent is grub2 which has a solid validator which we run in our CI to catch issues and bugs beforehand.

Thanks and cheers!

-- lzap