Re: List of packages with problematic license

On Sat, Jan 01, 2022 at 11:11:47AM +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> ipxe.spec
> Testing rpm-specs/ipxe.spec
> No terminal defined for 'w' at line 1 col 8
>
>  GPLv2 with additional permissions and BSD
>        ^
>
> Expecting: {'AND', 'OR'}

The license does appear to be accurate in the sense that it reflects
the somewhat unusual license of iPXE.  Specifically iPXE permits
distributing unmodified binaries without source if they are "built
from publicly available source code" but without imposing the usual
GPL obligation of the distributor having to provide source.  (None of
this applies to Fedora of course since we do always provide source.)

Also it should be GPLv2+ not GPLv2.  I cannot see anywhere where the
source limits itself to GPLv2 only.

The situation seems a bit similar to OCaml packages where we often use
"LGPLv2+ with exceptions".  OCaml uses LGPLv2+ but grants additional
permissions to do with not requiring distributors to comply with some
of the obligations in clause 2 of the LGPLv2.

So maybe the iPXE license should be:

  License: GPLv2+ with exceptions and BSD

I didn't change it.

Rich.