Re: F36 Change: DIGLIM (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 4:35 AM Mattia Verga via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Il 28/12/21 04:28, Kevin Kofler via devel ha scritto:
> > Matthew Miller wrote:
> >> 1. There is a mechanism for users to add their own digest lists, if they
> >>     want. The change proposal could be a little more clear on how this
> >>     would work.
> > There is no way I am going to jump through hoops to whitelist software I
> > compiled myself, or installed from a third-party repository, out of a
> > hardware-enforced vendor lock-in that attempts to deny me Freedom Zero
> > (contradicting the "Freedom" in the "Four F's" of Fedora).
> >
> >> 2. The proposal calls for a checkbox in Anaconda to enable the feature.
> >>     (We probably do not actually want a checkbox in Anaconda, though.) It
> >>     also says "The feature might be enabled later by the user without any
> >>     change required for the image generation" — which I think is primarily
> >>     saying that the feature could be turned on without needing to remake
> >>     the boot image, but which also seems to also say that it's not
> >>     necessarily on by default.
> > Hopefully really only *by the user* and not, e.g., by the upgrade to a newer
> > Fedora release.
> >
> > But even off by default, I do not see how the "feature" implemented by this
> > Change provides any value at all that does not contradict the very
> > definition of Free Software.
> >
> >          Kevin Kofler
>
> I do not see how this change goes against the definition of Free
> Software. It doesn't deny a user to install any software they want, it
> is about preventing unwanted/unsolicited/malevolent software from being
> installed without user (admin) approval.

This looks like pure DRM. While there are security benefits to
controlling access to data or to executables, doing so deep in the
kernel takes away too much desirable freedom.

Nico Kadel-Garcia