Re: F36 Change: %set_build_flags for %build and %check (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 3:26 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 20/12/2021 18:41, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > Call %set_build_flags macro automatically at the beginning of the
> > %build and %check phases of RPM builds in Fedora Linux.  This will
> > ensure that the compiler flag environment variables are set for every
> > RPM build.
>
> +1 for the %build section, but I doubt it is really needed for %check.

It is. There are plenty of packages that compile for tests. I have
one, for example (libeconf).

I would prefer it to be in %build, %check, and %install for completeness.

> Also, owners of this proposal should use their proven packager abilities
> to remove any existing %set_build_flags from all Fedora packages
> (Rawhide branch).

Why? If the package is being maintained as a single spec across
multiple branches, you'd have to ask them to condition it, which is
hard to do. Removing it would break it for packagers maintaining a
single spec across branches, all for avoiding a redundant call. It'd
be better to advise packagers to only use this for older Fedora and
EPEL and let them fix it.

Mass changes are stupid hard, and packagers get upset with you no
matter what you do with mass changes. I certainly learned that with my
Change, and I'd rather not have people go through that and get burned
out from the experience. So to me, the bar is extremely high to
require mass changes.