Re: Advise needed: guideline for very big data rpms?

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 12:33 PM Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for a new project hopefully coming to soon to Fedora,  I like to know
> the policy for really big data rpms.
>
> The project could offer 18 language files for a voice recognition
> system, which is ( unpacked ) up to 2.4 GB each and packed upto around
> 1.6~1.8 GB each.
> + 18 small ones ~50-60 MB each.
>
> So round about, we are talking about 40 GB just for those language packs
> just for the first release + a lot more for new updates per Fedora
> version, and those packages grow constantly over time. Of course, users
> do not need all of them at the same time, but they should be available.
>
> Is this a valid scenario for the Fedoraproject or would this be a nogo?

I'm not sure if this is a good idea. For example, storage space in
koji and especially on mirrors of Fedora repositories is already quite
constrained, so adding tens of gigabytes to that (for every release +
for stable/updates/testing repos) would probably explode some things
:) Would it be possible to modify the software in question to download
these data files on demand instead?

Fabio