Re: Unable to login as root with a recent Rawhide Fedora Cloud image

On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 at 10:31, Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I set up a rawhide cloud image
> (Fedora-Cloud-Base-Rawhide-20211217.n.1.x86_64.qcow2 from
> download.fedoraproject.org) with a root password using virt-sysprep:
>
>     virt-sysprep -a <image> --root-password password:123456
> --selinux-relabel [...]

I believe this is intentional. Please see emails with subjects:

F36 Change: Make Rescue Mode Work With Locked Root (System-Wide Change proposal)
F36 Change: Users are administrators by default in the installer GUI.
(Self-Contained Change proposal)

there may be some others. Basically root login is no longer allowed
via PAM and possibly other tools. My understanding is that you need to
login as a user, and then become root.

> ...I am unable to login as root on the console once I boot it. When I
> enter "root" in the login prompt, I immediately get "Login incorrect"
> (it doesn't even ask for password). With the F35 Cloud image I can
> login just fine with the same procedure.
>
> Anyone know if this is an intentional change or a bug? If it's
> intentional, what do I need to do to make root login work again? If
> it's a bug, any idea which component to report it against?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Ondrej Mosnacek
> Software Engineer, Linux Security - SELinux kernel
> Red Hat, Inc.

Stephen J Smoogen.
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle. -- Ian MacClaren