Re: F36 Change: Enable fs-verity in RPM (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Sat, 2021-12-04 at 23:46 +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Davide Cavalca via devel wrote:
> > To clarify: RPM does support files validation, but fs-verity is
> > more
> > than just that. With RPM, the validation only happens on install
> > time,
> > and when one runs rpm -V manually. With fs-verity, the validation
> > happens on-demand whenever a block of a file that originated from
> > an
> > RPM is accessed. This means, for example, that if an attacker
> > replaces
> > /bin/ls on disk with a compromised one, the next time it's read
> > from
> > disk (e.g. because you ran it) you will see a validation failure
> > and
> > the syscall will be blocked, preventing the compromised code from
> > being
> > executed.
>
> This means that there is a performance cost in addition to the disk
> space
> cost (because something has to compute those checksums each time the
> file is
> acessed).

There's only a performance cost if fs-verity is actually enabled (which
is not in scope for this proposal). The checksums are computed on-
demand on a per-block basis, so you only end up checksumming the pages
you're actually accessing.

>  It also means that it is harder for users to exercise their right
> to modify the Free Software (because replacing or patching RPM-
> installed
> binaries will lead to them failing to execute).

There's nothing stopping the user from loading their own key in the
kernel keyring and then installing their own locally-build RPM that has
been verity-signed with their own key. And again, this only becomes a
concern if one is actually enabling fs-verity in the first place.

> Since the change also adds to the metadata in the RPM, that means
> that it
> also increases the size of the RPMs. With keepcache=1, this also
> translates
> to increased disk space use. But even if the user does not keep
> cached RPMs,
> the download sizes will increase, which can cost time and for some
> users
> even money.

That's correct, there will be (modest) increase in the size of the
RPMs. We're going to collect some more data to quantify this more
concretely.

Cheers
Davide