Re: F36 Change: Enable fs-verity in RPM (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Do, 02.12.21 14:36, Ben Cotton (bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Hmm, so what I am really missing on the feature page: what's the
attack scenario here? Usually security features come with an attack
scenario they are supposed to address. But there's no discussion about
that.

This protects file contents, not the metada, right? So what about the
metadata? if I see a fs-verity enabled inode with libssl.so data in it
today, and it's a vulnerably version, and I make a hardlink to it, and
then it gets replaced by a fixed version (with a slightly updated
name) — how you intend to make sure, that i can't fool you into loading
my copy of the old file but under the new name?

What about signing anyway? What is this precisely signed with? The
keys for that when are they rolled over? Who manages those keys? The
tea for that, who's doing that in Fedora? Is there any protection
against downgrades between RPM package versions? Does this in any way
protect combinations of binaries/libraries? I mean, pretty much all
programs we ship consist of a large number of ELF objects, and you
probably need to sign the combination of them, but this model doesn't
look like it offers that at all? If a security bug is found in library
X, how is it taken out of equation? What would the workflow for that
look like on the Fedora side of things?

The security model seems really strange to me I must say: so much
infrastructure, and it doesn't protect at all how our programs are
usually combined?

Puzzled,

Lennart