How to handle ABI breakage in Rawhide

Hello David,

This spirv-tools-libs build changed the ABI of libSPIRV-Tools.so in Rawhide on Nov 23: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1858749

The shared lib has no soversion, and other libs in Fedora depend on it:

mpv: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libshaderc_shared.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZN8spvtools23CreateAggressiveDCEPassEv

On Dec 2nd, libshaderc was also rebuilt, and now it agrees with the new ABI of spirv-tools-libs: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1862359

However, libplacebo would also need rebuilding:

undefined symbol: _ZN8spvtools23CreateAggressiveDCEPassEv (/lib64/libplacebo.so.157)

I rebuilt it locally, but there are more packages using the old ABI:

  % mpv
mpv: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libavfilter.so.7: undefined symbol: _ZN8spvtools23CreateAggressiveDCEPassEv

I would like to request that we revert the ABI of libSPIRV-Tools.so or, at least bump the soversion to avoid silently breaking all dependencies.

What are the current Fedora packaging guideline regarding ABI stability of shared libraries?

Are there no automated checks to prevent this common accident? This happens frequently, and discourages Rawhide testing.

Thanks,

--
_ // Bernie Innocenti
\X/  https://codewiz.org/