Re: Fedora 35 Cloud image && virt-sysprep

On Monday, November 29, 2021 4:46:42 PM CET Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 04:38:26PM +0100, Pavel Raiskup wrote:

> > > As a general rule, libguestfs is only guaranteed to work if the
> > > host OS is the same or newer than the guest OS. It might (and often
> > > does) work if the host OS is older than the guest, but that's pot
> > > luck.
> > >
> > > The libguestfs appliance use the host kernel to access the filesystems,
> > > so if the guest OS kernel was newer, its filesystem may have used features
> > > that the host OS kernel doesn't understand.
> > >
> > > IOW, my assumption is that Fedora 35 xfs is using fetures that RHEL8
> > > xfs doesn't support.
> >
> > Ah, not xfs, but you helped me.  Now I understand what the message means :-)
> >
> > $ virt-sysprep -a ...
> > [   0.0] Examining the guest ...
> > virt-sysprep: error: libguestfs error: inspect_os: mount exited with status
> > 32: mount: /tmp/btrfse5L6v2: unknown filesystem type 'btrfs'.
> >
> > This is the absence of 'btrfs' on EL8.  So there's no way out from this
> > on any currently supported RHEL, I bet.
>
> I've not tried, but the container Neal points to in the other reply
> may still work, if it includes a Fedora kernel vmlinux that libguestfs
> can leverage. The host OS kernel is merely libguestfs' default choice,
> you can point it to other kernels if you have some available

I can confirm it works, libguestfs-appliance brings kernel-core into the
image.

Though, can I somehow manually point the host's libguestfs to the
alternative kernel (e.g. from extracted kernel-core.rpm from F35)?  I
mean.., it is really painful to fix our scripting to use the containerized
libguestfs.  If so, any command touching host filesystem needs to be
changed (e.g. copy-in/copy-out).  Also command-line arguments (-a) need to
be changed.

But it is indeed good enough for manual, one-time image tweaks (there are
some minor issues, like absence of Fedora 35 Dockerfile, the image isn't
in registries, etc.).

Pavel