Re: F36 Change: Users are administrators by default in the installer GUI. (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 12:49:24 +0100
Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think it would be more constructive if you enumerated pros/cons of
> sudo to support your argument then the tradition.

Not the original poster, but I find that I like the separation of roles
into two.  When I do things as root, I mentally know that they can have
very severe consequences, so I have a different mindset, a more
vigilant mindset.  I measure three times and cut once.  In fact, I do
things as root only in a single virtual console (usually), so when I go
there, I know I'm someone different.

Also, because of long usage, these are habits that are familiar and any
change means I have to develop new habits, and while I am developing
those habits, I will inevitably make mistakes.  If I continue doing
things the way I normally do, I won't make those mistakes, so they are
unnecessary mistakes.

I presume that the root account isn't going away, so it isn't a big
deal.  I'll just modify it after install to fit my work flow.

Security isn't a huge issue because I have no internet facing services
active, so people hacking root remotely is only possible through the
browser, and locally installed malware (I think).

I see this as just another small inconvenience for experienced users in
order to cater to all those 'new users'.  They do pile up, though.  I
have all kinds of notes about how to 'correct' them on install.  I
imagine this happens to everyone who joins Fedora, as the changes
accumulate, and they get left behind in their way of doing things.  Or
maybe other people don't create routines to simplify their user
experience, and so never experience this.