Re: Adding shields.io badges for Fedora packages to upstream projects

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 11:23:13 -0000, Artur Frenszek-Iwicki wrote:
> > Would anyone have an idea of how this works and
> > where issues should be filed? On our infra or on shields.io?
> Fedora badges are listed on shields.io under the "Version" category:
> https://shields.io/category/version
> Clicking on the "Fedora" badge brings up a pop-up that allows to specify the badge's parameters.
> The pop-up mentions mdapi, so I guess that's where it gets its information from.
>
> > works for arbor, not for python-libNeuroML
> While "python-libNeuroML" doesn't work, "python3-libNeuroML" does,
> so I guess this works with binary RPMs, not source RPMs.

AH! Should've tried that! Thanks!

> > What do people think of opening PRs to (optionally) add these to
> > upstream readme files when a software has been included in Fedora to
> > increase visibility?
> If a project already includes some "get it on Ubuntu/Arch" information,
> I see no harm in suggesting to add a note about Fedora. Though personally
> I think repology is a better solution, since it gibes you many repos at once
> and you don't need to update the README every time a new distro comes along.
> But that's just me.

I think adding badges to upstream projects serves a different purpose to
repology. The idea here (at least for the Neuro SIG) is for our target
audience to quickly be made aware that something is available in Fedora
when they go to a GitHub repository. They're really not going to go to
repology to search, they're going to go directly to project
websites/GitHub.

--
Thanks,
Regards,