Re: F37 Change: RetireARMv7 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 8:10 PM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Am 16.11.2021 um 20:37 schrieb Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > On 15. 11. 21 20:15, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RetireARMv7
> >> == Owner ==
> >> * Name: [[User:pbrobinson| Peter Robinson]]
> >> * Email: <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > May I suggest to include https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/YC2LYBJSFKDAVBUJAIFQCCBS5VLW5TUB/ in the feedback section (which is entirely missing from this proposal)?
>
> I've only been dealing with Arm SBC boards for a short time and therefore only with aarch64 and certainly don't know many details yet.
>
> A big advantage of Linux is that older hardware is supported for a long time and is still usable. This is almost a "trademark“.

Someone has to do that work. Volunteers are less and less on ARMv7, do
you expect those remaining to increase their workload as a result?
Because that is what is happening.

> Therefore my question, would it reduce the effort already noticeably, if you reduce armv7 to "server" (and evtl IoT), i.e. without all the graphical interfaces? And without new, additional functionality, just security fixes? A kind of „maintenance mode“?

We've already de-focused Desktops and stopped creating a number of the
DE images.

> This could (hopefully) solve a number of problems raised by various contributors to the discussion (and preserve the „trademark").

It wouldn't have a massive impact or reduction of work on the
maintainers such as myself