Re: [EPEL-devel] Mock/Copr default epel-8-* configuration to be changed

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 9:16 PM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > Neither of those have much track history.
>
> Of course they don't. How can they, when CentOS had stolen their show for
> years and the sudden "change of directions" was announced only earlier this
> year? Blame RH for not having given the rebuild community more time to
> prepare. (Pulling the plug on CentOS 8 7-8 years before its originally
> announced EOL was a huge surprise, and not a good one.)
>
> > The easy move is to use CentOS 8 Stream for "mock", at least in the short
> > term.
>
> With CentOS Stream, you want to use epel-next, not plain epel. And the epel-
> next configs already use CentOS Stream.

Which is available. It would need to be designated as the "default"
for compilation. The changes would be in the default settings for
mock-core-configs, nowhere else, and not require other repo changes.

> > The alternative is to designate the CentOS switch to streaming
> > deployments as a non-starter, and re-invent point releases on top of
> > CentOS 8 Stream It's likely to create small discrepancies with
> > packages released, and rejected or withdrawn, from CentOs 8 Stream
> > before they get to RHEL 8. Since CentOS 8 Stream is the new beta for
> > RHEL 8, this would seem inevitable.
>
> Why would we want to reinvent the wheel instead of using one of the two
> already working solutions? And how would that not necessarily have even less
> "track history", considering that Alma and Rocky already exist, whereas your
> idea has not even be started yet?

I'm not saying this is the best option, but it invelves less change to
the build systems to rely on mirrors and base repos that Red Hat does
not own. It's feasible as a technology, and it's something that some
of us are going to have to do anyway to use CentOS for production
deployments. I've been doing something like it since... well, since
Red Hat 9 in 2003, and for Fedora, to lock down static internal
mirrors for staged rather than streaming updates.

> > It's a waste of time and resources to generate and manage the relevant
> > repodata, exacerbated by the multiple unwelcome and randomly
> > overlapping channels of CentOS 8. Multiple snapshots of a repo are
> > also not free in disk space or inodes.
>
> Of course it is. So do not do that.

Assess the alternatives before discarding them.

> > But I'm not sure if the more "replicate only" distributions will be
> > long-lived multi-platform enough to rely on for EPEL,
>
> Then you switch to another rebuild. The demand is not going to vanish
> overnight, so I do not expect them to go away without a replacement, just as
> CentOS did not go away without a replacement either.

That is *expensive* to do. It leads to people discarding
distributions, which I observe has been happening for CentOS and RHEL.
Some previous fans are biting the bullet and switching to Ubuntu to
avoid this mess, others are switching to Amazon Linux or simply
skipping RHEL 8 and CentOS 8 entirely. Amazon, for example, is not
planning to publish a matching "Amazon Linux 3", I've asked them.
Unfortunately, Amazon Linux 2 is too divergent from RHEL and CentOS to
be usable for EPEL, it's python 3.7 instead of python 3.6.