Re: Unowned system directories

Hi,

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021 1:37:36 PM CST Steve Grubb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am preparing to migate a F35 system to new hardware and was sanity checking
> the whole system. One thing I found was that there are a number of system
> directories that that are not owned by the package that uses them:
>
> /var/cache/ibus
> /var/cache/PackageKit
> /var/cache/cups
> /var/log/anaconda
> /var/lib/tpm2-tss
> /var/lib/machines
> /var/lib/hsqldb
> /var/lib/cs
> /var/lib/rpcbind
> /var/lib/portables
> /etc/module-build-service
> /etc/default
> /etc/pesign
> /etc/ipa
> /etc/ndctl
> /etc/flatpak

Yes,  I have also noticed issues with directory ownership. However, I am not sure what the rules are about packages owning directories under `/var/cache` or `/var` in general.  I can tell you that the `filesystem` package owns `/var/cache` itself:

```
$ rpm -qf /var/cache
filesystem-3.14-7.fc35.x86_64
```

There are also some directories that are owned by multiple packages, e.g. shell completions packages[1,2], instead of none at all.

> Should there be a gating or other test that catches this?

I think there should be. For your reference, here[3,4] are the sections of the Fedora Packaging Guidelines surrounding directory ownership.

Thanks,
Maxwell

[1]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/ZSXQBRTQ6YJGE4LIBZ32BFABE6BLIOW7/
[2]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/ERPOO3YGBHUJAMNXCEIUXGGH6LWEA7LN/