Re: Mock/Copr default epel-8-* configuration to be changed

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 2:01 PM Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First I don't feel comfortable announcing this, I'm not happy about the
> situation and so I don't want to be the lightning rod :-).

I do not believe anyone should blame you for bringing
this up (although, it should be noted, killing the messenger
has never, really, gone out of style :-).

> I am proposing (as PR against mock upstream ATM [1]) to switch the default
> epel-* configuration from CentOS+EPEL to RHEL+EPEL as soon as possible
> (see the pull request [1]).

> Any thoughts?  Feedback is needed here.

I have a number of cases where I package software via
mock that (for various reasons) is never really released
into a formal public repo, but for which I would like to be
able to just build the rpm for EL<x>.  Having to obtain and
manage (even a free) RH subscription will be a major
PITA for such activities (especially as I suspect I will
need a number of different subscriptions for the various
different role "hats" that are worn).

I have no great alternatives.  However, as EL<x>
typically has a binary compatibility promise across
its lifecycle, is a viable alternative to have a (perhaps
separate) mock config for building be the base release
version?  With the (typical) exception of the compiler(s)
themselves, the feature and security updates are
at run time, and not build time (and in my cases,
the run time systems will be (mostly) fully updated
so that would probably work out ok, for me).

Anyway, thanks for bringing the issue up.