Re: F36 Change: Unit Names in Systemd Messages (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 01:49:00PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 09:06:49AM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > Started Journal Service.
> > Finished Load Kernel Modules.
> > Starting Apply Kernel Variables...
> > Starting Create Volatile Files and Directories...
> > Finished Apply Kernel Variables.
> [...]
> > Started systemd-journald.service - Journal Service.
> > Finished systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules.
> > Finished systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service - Create Static Device Nodes in /dev.
> > Starting systemd-sysctl.service - Apply Kernel Variables...
> [...]
>
> This is pretty bikesheddy, but... I find the new format hard to follow
> because the service names _aren't_ easily readable, and the following
> human-readable text has ragged-left-edge alignment.
>
> Would something like
>
> Started  Journal Service (systemd-journald.service).
> Finished Load Kernel Modules (systemd-modules-load.service).
> Finished Create Static Device Nodes in /dev (systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service)
> etc.
>
> be possible?

This was one of the versions proposed when we were implementing this
upstream. We ultimately chose the one proposed, primarily because
it is expected that truncation will occur e.g. on 80 char ttys,
and it is better if the description is truncated, rather than the
unit name. Also, in the 'name' format, the name is the only thing
that is displayed, and I think this is the format is the most useful.
It is then nice that the 'combined' format is an extension of 'name',
and not something completely different.

On the console, the unit name part is highlighted, so it's not so
wall-of-texty as in the example I pasted.

Zbyszek