Re: Firefox Hardware acceleration & VA-API how-to

On 11/15/21 04:34, Fabio Valentini wrote:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 9:37 AM Martin Stransky <stransky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi folks,

I was told that people were having trouble with Firefox/HW
acceleration/VA-API setup on Fedora so I put some info at wiki at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firefox_Hardware_acceleration

Hope it helps.
Martin

I appreciate the effort to document ways to improve things. However:

Video decoding on NVIDIA
Please buy some real Linux hardware.

This doesn't really help at all. Is it supposed to be funny, or is it
just cynical resignation?

After trying to configure HW acceleration on 9xx series GPU, I'll just take that as a serious response.
Consider following points:
 * VDPAU is not compatible with Wayland, our main desktop scenario.
* Video decoding in Firefox on X11 is limited to X11/EGL, which does not work with the Nvidia proprietary driver (but at least there's a hope for that scenario). * There's no NVDEC vaapi backend, and I see opinions that it would be hard to fit NVDEC into vaapi model.
 * Nouveau support ends at VP5 (7xx series).

The wording might be different, but _at the moment_ any recent Nvidia hardware cannot be used for HW video acceleration in Firefox.

--
Best regards,
Aleksei Bavshin