Re: Package FFMPEG with royalty free codes (AV1, THEORA, VPX, OGG, OPUS, SPEEX, ...) for Fedora

Le 10/11/2021 à 17:47, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel a écrit :

On 10/11/2021 16:33, Lyes Saadi wrote:
I could even imagine someone creating a repo (not in COPR hopefully, due to legal issues) replacing in proprietary apps like Discord (or Slack which happens to be relevant to other discussions here) the bundled electron with Fedora's making things like Desktop sharing (not sure if it requires more changes) and Wayland working natively, packaged in a convenient RPM, a bit like what is currently available in the AUR.

Proprietary apps don't allow patching of their code. Recently discussed in #flatpak:matrix.org.

That's why I said « not in COPR hopefully » ^_^. Client modification is prohibited by Discord, but it is not really acting on that unless it harms them (the AUR repo is an example of that). I wonder what is Slack's TOS? Maybe with their approval, a COPR could be maintained without any issue?

(Also, I just want to insist I am not pushing nor advising anyone to do something breaking Discord's TOS without their approval, I'm just thinking of examples of external demand for a Discord package in Fedora.)

Just wanted to add that if Electron is packaged for Fedora, packaging the rest of the electron apps would not necessarily happen in the official repos (due to the enormous work needed).

We will have another problem - different Electron apps require different major versions of Electron engine.
That is true. Though, compat-packages could be an option for the main repository anyway.