Re: Package FFMPEG with royalty free codes (AV1, THEORA, VPX, OGG, OPUS, SPEEX, ...) for Fedora

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 11:51 AM Andreas Schneider <asn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, November 8, 2021 10:55:32 AM CET Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> wrote:
> > On Monday, 08 November 2021 at 10:12, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > there are several packages in the distribution which require FFMPEG
> > > (libavformat, libavcodec, etc.), one of them being chromium. The package
> > > could
>  be created in a way that you can easily replace it with a version
> > > from rpmfusion to get to the full encoder/decoder set including H264 etc.
> > >
> > > This is working fine with openSUSE and packages from Packman.
> > >
> > > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/multimedia:libs/ffmpeg-4
> > > https://pmbs.links2linux.org/package/show/Essentials/A_tw-ffmpeg
> > >
> > > The Packman version always has a higher release version than the one in
> > > the
>  distribution.
> > >
> > > I'm interested in this, as I try to package electron for Fedora. The big
> > > problem is the included ffmpeg. With openSUSE I can just use the system
> > > ffmpeg, with Fedora I have to do some source code voodoo which I really
> > > would
>  like to avoid.
> >

> > Maintaining such package would require keeping watch for any new files
> > you'd need to include and going through legal review each time you do.
>
> Did you take a look how they solved it at SUSE?
>
> You have list for encoder and decoders which are allowed to be built. So if a
> new encoder or decoder would be added, it would just not be built. You will
> just always end up with the same set of encoders/decoders with every update.
>
> Packman uses the exact same package as openSUSE and all it does it to enable
> all encoders and decoders.
>
> All packages requiring ffmpeg can just always be built against the system
> version.
>
> It should be less legal work, as you have to check just one package and not
> several which might include it as third_party source code.
>
> > IMO it's much less work to just maintain everything that depends on
> > FFmpeg in RPM Fusion.
> >
> > If you're determined, however, you could start with what Chromium does:
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/chromium/blob/rawhide/f/clean_ffmpeg.sh
>
> How is it less work if you need to clean ffmpeg source codes in several
> projects which include it instead of just linking the system one? It is more
> prone to errors to remove sources and you have to track it instead of just
> having a fixed decoder/encoder set you build.

It's not the point that it's easier.

If I understand correctly, any official ffmpeg package distributed by
Fedora would not be allowed to contain even the *source code* for
patent-encumbered or redistribution-limited codecs in its source
package (because those sources are redistributed too). So the only way
to achieve that would be to use "clean" tarballs - and a hardcoded
list of "allowed codecs to build" alone is not enough to satisfy that
requirement.

Fabio