Re: deltarpm usefulness?

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 11:47 PM Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 11.08.21 um 22:03 schrieb Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> > - there is also argument that people's connection bandwidth nowadays
> >     tends to be fast enough to make the package rebuilding actually
> >     slower than downloading the whole package (but that really vary between
> >     different installations)
>
> Since we now have Linux on smartphonesd, i heavily disagree with this
> assumption and advocate to expand the drpm usage.

How would you suggest to do that?

>From what I can tell, drpms are most useful if you update your system
daily (because deltas are only kept from one compose, and need storage
space) - but unless you have thousands of packages installed, the few
hundred KB - a few MB of download savings you get from drpms every day
(at most) are drowned out by the size of the daily repository metadata
download to even get those drpms. And if you update less often to
reduce the frequency with which you need to download the big repo
metadata, you might not get drpms for any updates at all.

So I don't think that there's *any* scenario where using drpms results
in a net reduction in MBs that need to be downloaded over time,
because either
- failed drpm reconstructions cause whole packages to be redownloaded anyway,
- very few packages have drpms in every update push,
- drpms are only kept for a very limited amount of time and limited
number of packages,
- savings from drpm usage is on the order of at most a few MB per
update per day, and less if not updating every day, but
- repository metadata downloads are reaching ~100MB / day, depending
on how many repos are enabled.

So ... am I missing something, or do drpms actually make things worse
in *every* respect right now?
- more MBs downloaded per update / per day in every scenario I can think of,
- more computationally intensive to reconstruct locally,
- needs compute time and storage space in Fedora build system,
- makes compose process more complicated.

Fabio