Re: F36 Change: Remove .la files from buildroot (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 09:37:40AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Summary ==
> Autools/libtool-based projects frequently install files ending in
> `.la` in their `make install`. These files are usually unwanted. Many
> projects therefore end up with a variation of `find $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
> -name "*.la" -delete` in their `%install section`.
>
> `*.la` files are "libtool archives" and provide additional metadata
> for library files and come from a time before the introduction of the
> ELF format. Today, they are only consumed by libtool itself. Refer to
> https://autotools.io/libtool/lafiles.html.

I read the mythbuster page, and I still don't understand if removing
the file has any effect or not. Will there be any difference in builds
(for package builds and end-user builds)?

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> ** Update packaging guidelines to mention the automatic removal of
> `*.la` files and mention the mechanism for opting out of this
> behavior.
> * Other developers:
> ** For the packages already removing their `*.la` files manually,
> there should be no change. For packages that want to install such
> packages, the package maintainers need to opt out of the automatic
> removal.

If this change is implemented, manual removal in packages becomes unnecessary.
Will you do a 'mass change' sweep to drop those removals?

> If a package whishes to keep shipping `*.la` files, the package
> maintainer can opt out of the automatic removal by setting
> `%__brp_remove_la_files` to `%nil`:  `%global __brp_remove_la_files
> %nil`

Why would anyone want to do that? (I'm not talking about the case
mentioned elsewhere in the thread were a non-libtool file is removed
by a mistake, but the actual case where one would want to keep
distributing a libtool file.)

Zbyszek