Re: F36 Change: Remove .la files from buildroot (Self-Contained Change proposal)

V Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 02:50:27PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones napsal(a):
> There are quite a few of these "junk files" left around by build systems
> that many packages have to remove:
>
>  - .packlist (Perl)

These are actually useful for a few Perl tools which need to enumarate
installed CPAN distributions. Usually various packers and bundlers. But the
files are incompatible with RPM because their content changes with each newly
installed Perl module, both with DNF and CPAN. Terefore we delete them and
sacrifies fearures of the packer tools. Theoretically we could manage the
.packlist file with an RPM file trigger but I worry it would be too slow. For
the full disclosure, those files are a local database of installed Perl
modules and a mapping to a (CPAN) distribution. Nevertheless their creation
can be supressed with proper build options.

>  - *.bs (Perl)

When the files are empty (which has been true on Linux for ages), they can be
removed. Ideally we could change a Perl build machinery not to produce them
at all. But I hazily remember that it's not easy because they are used for
side effects, e.g. as Makefile targets. The files are used for setting dynamic
linker before dlopening Perl binary modules. (An anolog to to the very libtool
archives.)

> Should we have a more systematic way to remove them?

We could. But I'm not sure we should clutter rpmbuild with language specific
hacks.

-- Petr