Re: F36 Change: Package information on ELF objects (System-Wide Change proposal)

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 06:39:38PM -0000, Luca Boccassi wrote:
>
> It depends on how wide of a net you cast.  Since package naming is
> user-controlled and distribution-wide rules are enforced by disparate
> build systems and environments, an NVR (or NEVRA) is not unique.  It's
> close to unique, but it can't be guaranteed.

Sure, if one squints hard enough and goes looking for trouble and to intentionally create conflicts, you can do it. No good reason to do intentionally though. And most importantly, the build-ids are going nowhere, so disambiguating is always going to be possible even in the most extreme of corner cases.

I mean even build-ids, if you really want to intentionally make a mess, nothing stops you from duplicating one. They are not signed or assigned from a central authority. But it would be pretty weird, no?