Re: F36 Change: Drop NIS(+) support from PAM (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 23:47, Ian Kent <raven@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-10-27 at 13:40 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 04:37:18PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > == User Experience ==
> > > For some users this change may be a bit disruptive and it may
> > > require
> > > some learning curve for switching to alternative solutions.
> >
> > I've spoken with some of my sysadmin friends and universities, and
> > they
> > suggest that the above is enough of an understatement to feel
> > insulting.
> >
> > They would like, at least, more time than F36 to adjust to this, and
> > broader
> > communication that we plan to drop it.
>
> Remind me, why is NIS support being dropped?
>
> Personally I thought it was a bad idea from the first I heard of it
> and never saw any actual valid reasons to do so. I was simply told
> to drop it from my package which I did.
>
> Ian

Mainly because it is the authentication service equivalent of
telnet**. Very simple to set up, very simple to use, and very easy to
steal all the information about logins, users, and setups. You can
secure it up to a point, but many of its faults like unencrypted text
are designed into its 35 year old structure. It is a service which
gets flagged on many security scans as a 'incredibly' high and is
beginning to be flagged as a 'this should not even be shipped to us'
by various sites (mainly because they have had major security breakins
and their insurance company will no longer cover them unless they get
serious.).

** And like telnet, it will only be dragged out of various
infrastructures on the retirement of a generation of sysadmins.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in