Re: F36 Change: Package information on ELF objects (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 12:47:03PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 09:38:35AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >> * Ben Cotton:

> >> Can we enhance this to collect the package versions of all code that is
> >> linked statically?
> >
> > Hmm, do you mean the general case of any library linked statically, or
> > the special case where have an rpm with a static version of the library
> > (libfoo-static) and build another rpm with this?
>
> The general case of any statically linked code.  It could be libgcc,
> startup files, the non-shared bits of glibc, static-only libraries, or
> header-only C++ libraries.

The format is extensible, so in principle it would be possible to do
this (as described in Luca's reply and the follow-up from Neal), but I
don't think we would want to.

Right now we have a single item of information ("this binary was
built for foo-nnn-m.arch.rpm part of fedora 39"). With statically linked
code and other bits we get into an open-ended list of source inputs… and
we have better solutions for this. People talk about SBOMs, and design
formats to represent this and query in scalable ways. The goal of the small
embedded metadata is to unambiguously identify the binary, but for complex
and exhaustive information about the build tools, environment, configuration,
logs, etc, one has to go online.

Zbyszek