Re: F36 Change proposal: Replace the fbdev drivers with simpledrm and the DRM fbdev emulation layer (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, 2021-10-26 at 11:26 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReplaceFbdevDrivers
>
> * Other developers:
> ** It should not affect other packages but may be that plymouth or
> display managers could need some work.
> **  Test and watch for regressions.
>
> * Release engineering: []
> * Policies and guidelines:  No changes needed.
> * Trademark approval: No changes needed.
>
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
>
> There should not be any impact on upgrade, this is a internal change
> in the kernel and should be transparent for users.
>
> == How To Test ==
>
> * Install Fedora 36 and check that there is output in the video
> console when removing the `rhgb quiet` parameters.
>
> == User Experience ==
> No visible changes are expected, as mentioned it is fully backward
> compatible and transparent for users.

This all seems to downplay things a bit. Following on from Neal's point
about basic graphics mode, whether we change that menu item to
explicitly use this new mechanism or not, it seems entirely plausible
that the behavior of login managers in any case but 'working native
driver' will need testing - what happens when we explicitly boot to
this new mechanism? What happens when we boot with 'nomodeset', which
people may continue to use even if we change what the menu options do?
What happens on KDE, GNOME, and (less importantly) non-release-blocking
desktops?

This is an area that's known to cause problems, so I wouldn't want to
assume everything will just be fine.

Overall it sounds like an improvement, though, so I hope it works out.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA