Re: update F34 - f35 postgresql module issue

V Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 12:23:29PM +0200, Peter Boy napsal(a):

> > Am 24.10.2021 um 04:55 schrieb Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > I've never used the modules, but with rpms, you get the postgresql-upgrade
> > package installed as well in order to upgrade the database.  Is this not
> > available with modules?
>
> I’m not sure either. According to module list it only provides server and
> client.

No. Those are profiles. Those are just shortcuts for "please install packages
for a posgresql server" or "for a client". The complete list of packages can
be seen with "dnf module info postgresql:10" which lists postgresql-upgrade
RPM package. So once you do "dnf module switch-to postgresql:10", you can
install postgresql-upgrade with "dnf install postgresql-upgrade" if it has not
yet been installed.

> But that’s not a problem for me. We used modules to avoid upgrading.
> And we have an old service which requires version 9.6. So upgrade is not
> really an option.

Well, Fedora won't support version 9.6 indefinitely.

> The postgresql project provides a version 9.6 rpm for Fedora 34. Don’t know
> if they will do it for Fedora 35 as well (I hope so).

I also have no idea. File a request in Bugzilla. That's the way of
communicating with distribution maintainers.

> My main issue is that f35 removes the postgresql module version 9.6 without
> notice in the release notes or warning during upgrade.
>
> And now dnf always complains
> "Problem: conflicting requests
>   - nothing provides module(platform:f34) needed by module postgresql:9.6:3420210210170810:058368ca.x86_64“

That's the warning you were missing. Is that after a successfull "dnf
upgrade"? Or is it an error which prevents DNF from completing the upgrade?

> although this postgresql version is no longer present on the system.
>
> Do you know, how I get rid of that?

There is no way. Either do not upgrade, or switch to a newer postgresql stream
(dnf switch-to postgresql:10), or persuade maintainers in Bugzilla to add 9.6.
into Fedora 35.

-- Petr