Re: bodhi updates skipping updates-testing entirely

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 3:08 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > There seems to be some inconsistency with how our update workflow
> > currently works. When an update gets enough positive karma "pre-push"
> > (still in "pending → testing" state) so that it can be pushed to
> > stable, bodhi changes its state to ("pending → stable"), making it
> > skip the "updates-testing" repository entirely.
>
> And that is a feature. We already have too many bureaucratic (minimum karma
> requirements) and technical (at most one push per day) delays for updates.
> Why can't a tested update go out to stable?

This sounds like you didn't read my whole post.
Because I don't want to make updates going from "pending -> stable"
directly impossible, I just want it not to happen unless necessary,
because it drastically reduces the exposure of updates to broader user
testing.

> > That isn't that big of a problem most of the time, since "fedora" /
> > "updates" and "updates-testing" repositories are composed daily, but
> > during freezes, this leads to the weird problem that possibly
> > important updates get stuck in a state where they are available from
> > *no repository at all*.
>
> That is the real problem that needs fixing, and the fix for that would be
> for Bodhi to:
> * if an update is in pending → stable state for Fedora n, AND
> * if Fedora n is currently in a freeze (and ONLY in that case), THEN
> 1. push the update to testing instead AND
> 2. keep it queued for stable, i.e., put it into testing → stable state.
>
> But there is no valid reason to do that for releases that are not frozen and
> where the update can just go out directly to stable.

Why should updates for "stable" releases receive less testing coverage
than those for a pre-release? That doesn't make any sense.

Fabio