Re: F37 Change: Ansible 5 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

Hi Nico,

I understand your frustration about the Ansible reorganization, and I
agree that they could have documented it better, but I think that you
are missing the context surrounding this decision.

Oct 16, 2021 4:46:43 PM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 3:03 PM Gordon Messmer
> <gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/15/21 16:29, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > >
> > > I would publish ansible-core as just that, with a "Provides:
> > > ansible
> > > %{version{-%{release}" and even "Obsoletes: ansible >=
> > > %{version}".
> > > The "ansible" package could be a
> > > meta package with "Requires: ansible-core ansible_collections" to
> > > avoid the versioning confusion.
> >

> > Those two things can't both be done, though, can they?  If the
> > "ansible-core" package provides and obsoletes "ansible", then users
> > wouldn't be able to install the "ansible" package that requires
> > ansible_collections.
>
> They *can* physically, but doing both together would get very silly.
> I'd meant "do one or the other". The current model of "install
> ansible, get a few Megabytes of material you actually use that is
> almost entirely in ansible-core and 576 Megabytes of bulky material,
> more than 90% of which you will never use" is awkward, and I'd much
> rather see the galaxy collection packages published, and remain,
> distinct.

Fedora is not deprecating the current ansible-collection-* packages. If
you don't like the PyPi `ansible` package, then install the `ansible-
core` package and install the collections you want using the ansible-
collection-* Fedora packages or with `ansible-galaxy collection
install`, as the change description explains and Kevin reiterated.

> Discard the "ansible" package as an unwelcome approach, it's
> too big and too confusing.

I recommend you reread the initial post; it provides a good explanation
for why Ansible split most of the modules away from the core engine and
how the new packages (ansible-core and ansible) compare to the old
package (ansible 2.9). The new `ansible` package just contains the
collections that themselves contain the modules that, prior to Ansible
2.9, were hosted at github.com/ansible/ansible. The reason Ansible
created this new package was to avoid breaking existing workflows that
relied on those modules. Now, users can choose between installing the
collections manually or installing the `ansible` bundle.

> It does make me wish I'd been on the IRC channels that came up with
> this bundling to walk through the concerns much earlier. In practical
> terms and the relationship between Red Hat sponsored software like
> Ansible, and Fedora development,  I acknowledge that it may be too
> late to revise. But that "too late" is a political and social issue,
> not necessarily a technical one.

I don't think this decision has anything to do with Fedora and RedHat's
relationship. All Fedora is really doing with this change is updating
the `ansible` package to the latest version available on PyPI. If you
were already using the `ansible-core` package, you can continue using
that. Fedora is not making any significant changes to that package with
this change.

> > As a practical matter, I don't see any functional difference
> > between the
> > proposed change (publishing an ansible-core package, and an ansible
> > package that contains collections) and your suggested alternative
> > (publishing an ansible-core package, and an ansible package that
> > requires collections), unless we disregard the meta package.
>
> It distinguishes the newly bundled ansible-core, which OK, that made
> sense to fragment, from an extremely bulky and therefore brittle
> bundle that is mostly unwelcome, even dangerous.

I don't think the `ansible` bundle is dangerous or unwelcome. The new
bundle is very helpful for people who don't want to deal with separate
dependencies and want to continue using Ansible as it used to be --
where all of the modules are included in one monolithic package.

Thanks,
Maxwell

--
Maxwell G (@gotmax23)