Re: final link failed: memory exhausted on armv7l

On 10/13/2021 10:37 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13 2021 at 06:06:50 PM +0200, Björn 'besser82' Esser <besser82@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What you describe as lto requires a lot of memory is caused by building
lto along with non-lto in the same object file requires significantly
more memory.  For that reason one can disable building non-lto along
with lto using the `-f-no-fat-lto-objects` compiler flags instead of
`-f-fat-lto-objects`, if and *only IF* the package in question does
*NOT* ship static libraries.

More background: this default is, of course, backwards. Fedora packages do not generally ship static libraries, so it makes more sense for the few packages that do to opt-in instead of opt-out. Jeff proposed a change to improve that here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LTOBuildImprovements

but he left Red Hat, so it hasn't been implemented.
I'd still like to tackle this but my time is limited.

However, I strongly suspect fat-lto-objects is not the problem here.  If the build is running out of memory at link time, that is the LTO phase.  The best solution for that is to either disable LTO on the arm target, or (better) limit the parallelism at link time. There was a change to redhat-rpm-config that I think made it into f35 to allow a package to throttle the link-time parallelism.

jeff