Re: OCaml packages failing in ELN

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 5:54 PM Jerry James <loganjerry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The ELN package builds for the recent OCaml 4.13 update have mostly
> been failing, over and over.  I finally took a look at some today;
> they're going to keep failing until a human intervenes.  Rebuilding
> against Rawhide packages was supposed to fix this issue, but it
> doesn't fix the problem we're having this time: package builds that
> succeeded when they should have failed.
>
> The problem is that some packages low in the OCaml dependency tree
> were built successfully, but against packages that hadn't been rebuilt
> yet.  The builds succeeded, so now those builds are sitting in the ELN
> repository, preventing the corresponding Rawhide builds from being
> used, but they have unresolvable dependencies.
>
> If building the packages in the same order they were built for Rawhide
> is infeasible, then we need a backtracking algorithm that detects
> build failures due to uninstallable packages and rebuilds those.
> Right now, at the very least, ocaml-dune needs such a rebuild.

OK, for the short term, I'm just going to tag the Rawhide builds of
ocaml packages into ELN. If you want me to do a mini-mass-rebuild for
ELN after that, let me know.

I'm not sure how things got into the current state, but given that it
looks as if this OCAML build happened pretty much on the same day that
we deployed the new DistroBuildSync that handles the
tag-waitforrepo-build process, I'm guessing we probably just missed a
couple that happened to be problematic.