Re: Reasons to subscribe to the package-announce list?

Kevin Fenzi kirjoitti 10.10.2021 klo 23.49:
On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 02:14:06PM +0300, Otto Urpelainen wrote:
Hello,

Package Maintainer Docs currently recommend joining the package-announce
mailing list in two places [1,2], describing it as follows:

You should also consider joining the package-announce mailing list —
The commits mailing list gets notifications on all commits in any
package in the Fedora repository. This is a very high traffic mailing
list. The Fedora package database sends commit mails for packages you
(co-)maintain.

Odd. thats... not the right description. Thats the description for the
scm-commits list?

package-announce gets updates announcements of all the packages going to
stable updates through bodhi.

Thank you for this information. This explains why I saw only Bodhi updates in the package-announce archives.

I wonder, would it be better to drop this recommendation? Instead, it could
be recommended to go to Package Sources and adjust the Watch setting for
individual packages as needed? The paragraph quoted above is already kind of
recommending that approach in the last sentence.

What are the use cases where subscribing to the package-announce mailing
list is better than watching individual packages? Are the use cases common
enough that the mailing list deserves to be called "important" and be
recommended for everybody interested in Fedora packaging?

Yes, I think it might be worth mentioning these lists, but not
reccomending subscribing unless interested. Something like:

There are some completely optional lists that contain posts about all
packages: scm-commits, which has the commits for every package in fedora
posted to it, and package-announce, which has every stable update notice
posted to it as packages are pushed stable. Both of these are very high
traffic mailing lists and are only suggested if you have the time and
energy to watch all the changes going on in fedora packages.

Or something like that.

Sure, making people aware of all the tooling that is available is good. But the volume of messages in those lists is so large that I cannot believe it is a good idea to subscribe, unless some kind of automatic processing is implemented.

So, I am no thinking of keeping the list of important mailing lists really short, but the modify the "Find software you wish to package/maintain for Fedora" a bit. It now starts from the assumption that each new maintainer is going to add their very own package. Since it is also useful to help out with the existing ones, that section could also explain how to get notifications from interesting packages. There, both the Watch setting at Package Sources and these mailing lists can be discussed.

Otto