Re: I think we should stop building i686 packages we're not shipping

On Tue, 2021-08-31 at 12:53 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> This is an off-shoot thought of the 32-bit ARM conversation. Right now,
> we
> build stuff like libreoffice for i686, but then (mostly) don't ship it.
> This seems like a waste of resources and time.
>
> I know it's somewhat complicated (for example, there's actually a
> library
> package in libreoffice, libreofficekit, so that gets plucked in to
> multilib), and there's quite a lot to work out, but ... does this seem
> like
> a good intended direction?
>
> One immediate way to do this is to start adding `ExcludeArch: i686` to
> "leaf" packages (I mean: to allow / encourage people to do that). But I
> don't want to add _more_ cruft to the standard minimal spec file, so
> this
> seems like the wrong direction. And I still think we want to keep
> multilib
> for compatibility (hello, old games!). Could we do something clever in
> koji
> instead?

ah I just found that some packages that we aren't shipping are needed
to allow mock to build i686 packages.

Only on koji local repo (
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/repos/f35-build/latest/i386/pkglist
) we have for example tar-1.34-2.fc35.i686.rpm

To build, with mock, one i686 package like Steam, I think we should
just use Fedora x86_64 repos ( repos that are mirrored) , I mean repos
of arch x86_64 should have all i686 packages that allow start a
buidlroot and build one i686 package .

But for packages that aren't shipped , I agree , we already got the
concept of package multilib and only multilib packages should build for
i686 , I guess

--
Sérgio M. B.