Re: Linux Plumbers Conference - Open Printing Micro Conference

On 9/22/21 12:54 AM, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
On 9/21/21 1:21 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 5:36 AM Zdenek Dohnal<zdohnal@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
- several other printer applications was implemented by Till
Kamppeter[1][2][3][4] - Till makes it available as Snaps, I'm planning
to package it into Fedora as rpm first, then later as a flatpacks

How would these even work as Flatpaks? They are not graphical
applications or even console applications. These are helper services
for CUPS. I wouldn't expect those to work in Flatpak at all.

(here I'm starting to talk based on talks I've seen and how I've understood them - I still haven't had time to deeply test them by myself, I've only tried briefly lprint last year...)

Actually they are console applications - you can start them by CLI as an user or make them start on startup by its service unit. Once you configure your device at http://localhost:8000 (web ui for the printer application), your device will become available via mDNS and you can print without any other configuration (if your mDNS support in Fedora works). Or if you don't trust your local network, you can install the queue with uri - |ipp://localhost:8000/ipp/print/<queue_name_you_chose_in_printer_app>|

Ad printer apps being in flatpack - as you can see in the github issue[1], ps-printer-application and hplip-printer-application are available in SNAP repositories (CUPS has its SNAP as well in SNAP store). IIUC flatpack is based on the similar technology as snap, so my thoughts were the flatpack version is also possible.

[1] https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ps-printer-app/issues/9

Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech - Brno TPB-C

For anyone looking to play with these right now without a snap, I've started a copr[0]. I don't have the systemd service working yet, but you can start the printer app server manually.

It gives you a good feel for where the project is going.

[0] - https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/nielsenb/printer-apps/