Re: Disable locale forwarding in OpenSSH

Florian Weimer wrote:
> I tried to bring up this topic on the OpenSSH list to get some
> cross-distribution consensus, but the discussion didn't actually go
> anywhere:
>
>   Phasing out forwarding of locale settings
>   <https://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2021-September/03958...
>
> I think Fedora should do this unilaterally, dropping the downstream
> additions that enable locale forwarding in both the default client and
> server configurations.  If we do that, the OpenSSH server will use the
> locale as configured with localectl for new interactive and
> non-interactive sessions, which is C.UTF-8 in many cases.  At least
> that's what my testing on Fedora 33 suggests.
>
> Comments?

We have a big problem that nobody speaks about: MacOS.

The default and correct value of LC_CTYPE on MacOS is "UTF-8", but this is not a valid Linux locale string. And MacOS sends this by default - so, given the popularity of MacOS, the only sensible thing to do for Linux is not to accept locale-related environment variables. Or at least, filter out known bad values somewhere, but that would be a lot of fragile distribution-specific logic that I would rather not see.

See more details on this issue at https://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2021-September/039618.html