Re: License of mpir package simplified to LGPLv3+

Benjamin Beasley kirjoitti 8.9.2021 klo 22.07:
The license for the mpir package has been simplified from “LGPLv3+ and LGPLv2+ and (LGPLv3+ or GPLv2+) and BSD” back to the effective license of “LGPLv3+”.

See also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:FAQ#What_is_.22effective_license.22_and_do_I_need_to_know_that_for_the_License:_tag.3F. While not strictly required when there is a single effective license, a breakdown of the exact licenses for various source files is still included.

I have followed several discussions about effective licensing already, but I still do not understand it. I apologize for asking a question that has most probably been asked and answered many times already, but there really is something I do not understand here.

I do understand that the various GNU license here can be combined into just LGPLv3+. But what happened to the following clause from the BSD license?

> 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Was that condition somehow erased because the BSD source was compiled together with other source? I have hard time believing it did.

Or does the License tag encode only some subset of the binary's licensing conditions? If so, it cannot be used to determine what you are allowed and not allowed to do with the binary. What is the intended use of the License tag then?

I would like to have that explained in the FAQ. Even better, the licensing guidelines [1] should have explanation of this, or a link to the wiki pages that have licensing related rules and guidance.

Otto

[1]:https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/LicensingGuidelines/