Re: Wine MinGW system libraries

On 9/2/21 11:54 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On Thu, 2 Sept 2021 at 12:42, Zebediah Figura <zfigura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all,

I'm a contributor to the Wine project. To summarize the following mail,
Wine needs special versions of some of its normal dependencies, such as
libfreetype and libgnutls, built using the MinGW cross-compiler, and I'm
sending out a mail to major distributions in order to get some feedback
from our packagers on how these should be built and packaged.

For a long time Wine has built all of its Win32 libraries (DLLs and
EXEs) as ELF binaries. For various reasons related to application
compatibility, we have started building our binaries as PE instead,
using the MinGW cross-compiler. It is our intent to expand this to some
of our dependencies as well. The list of dependencies that we intend to
build using MinGW is not quite fixed yet, but we expect it to include
and be mostly limited to the following:

At that point, would it make more sense to make Wine a Flatpak or
Snap? This is a really complex setup and could break in most build
systems for any of the operating systems in different ways. Since you
are needing to control all the sources in your own bucket, it would be
better if you ran the whole kit and kaboodle.

I'm not very familiar with Flatpak or Snap, but I don't really think we want to write packaging scripts like that. If nothing else I don't see what advantages it offers, beyond just using static linking or embedded sources for everything.

Note that we don't want to compile or distribute *all* of our dependencies specially; we still want to rely on the system for anything I didn't list.

We also don't need to make any modifications or patches to the libraries themselves. In fact, if we use static libraries, I don't think we even need to make modifications to the build system, aside from compiling them in PE format in the first place (i.e. if it weren't for stuff like finding the packages in the first place, and low cross-distribution availability, we could just use distribution mingw packages.) It's only with shared libraries that things get a little tricky, and even then I believe we only need to patch the DLL name.