Re: I think we should stop building i686 packages we're not shipping

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 7:43 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 12:21:54PM -0500, Justin Forbes wrote:
> > While it might take a good bit of time to sit down and figure out
> > exactly what is *useful* from a multilib standpoint, I don't think
> > that is necessary at this time. It really could be simplified to "do I
> > build a library or not?". if the package ships a library, keep
> > building it for i686, if not, you can disable it.  It isn't an optimal
> > solution, but it would probably cut down considerably on build time,
> > and resource usage.
>
> That's basically the logic used for pulling the i686 packages into the
> x86_64 repo already (plus extra include/don't-include lists), right?

If we want to reduce the number of packages that get built for i686, I
wonder if it wouldn't be easier to *only* have a list of *included*
packages rather than a list of *excluded* packages? The number of
packages that are required for x86_64/i686 multilib isn't that big,
maintaining such a list should be less work than excluding more and
more packages.

However: Do we actually need multilib for anything (other than maybe
wine)? For example, I am running Steam on my workstation, and some
Linux-native games, but I still have *zero* .i686 arch packages
installed on my system. The Steam flatpak does not need them at all,
since the freedesktop runtime comes with an i686 multilib extension
that automatically gets pulled in when the Steam flatpak is installed,
obviating the need for any i686 libraries on the host.

Fabio