Re: Schedule for Monday's FESCo Meeting (2021-08-23)

Once upon a time, Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> #2659 Arbitration request: Crypto policy prevents VPN connections
> https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2659

VPN requirements are a problem for increasing the encryption strength.
I have to connect to Cisco Meraki VPNs for work, and Libreswan has
disabled the necessary level of encryption.  strongSwan still supports
them, so I use that instead (which, the NetworkManager plugins appear to
default to libreswan if it is installed, so I have to make sure it is
not).

Even websites have problems; I went back and forth with another major
network equipment vendor because their support site HTTPS was only
supporting weaker methods.  In the end, the only solution with Fedora
was to just use Google Chrome (which doesn't follow the system-wide
policy).  I have to access that site for my job.

It's unfortunate, but I must use VPNs and some websites.  Fedora needs
to continue to support the older/weaker encryption methods in some form,
ideally via an opt-out mechanism for the system-wide crypto policies, or
allowing browsers to offer weaker methods with a warning or something.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>