Heads-up: grpc 1.39.0 coming to Rawhide with C and C++ so-version bumps

In one week (2021-08-03), I will merge https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/grpc/pull-request/5 (which will build on all architectures by then) and build it into a side tag. This will bring grpc 1.39.0 to Rawhide, bumping the C so-version to 18 and the C++ so-version to 1.39, prior to F35 branching.

Maintainers of the following packages, which depend on the C and/or C++ libraries, should expect to receive a PR to rebuild into the side tag at that time. These maintainers should have received this email directly.

  - bear (admins: defolos)
  - frr (admins: mruprich)
  - perl-grpc-xs (admins: ppisar, @perl-maint-sig)

If you are a maintainer of one of the above packages, expect rebuilds for grpc updates in Rawhide (and perhaps sometimes branched) to happen at least one or two times per Fedora release cycle in the future, since upstream always bumps the C++ so-version and often bumps the C so-version on minor releases. I’m not a provenpackager, so if you think you will frequently be unable to respond to these rebuild PRs within a few days, please consider giving me (FAS: music) enough permissions on your package to do these routine rebuilds myself, rather than having to ask for provenpackager help and/or keep the side tag open for a long time.

The following packages use one of the Python APIs provided by grpc, or require the “grpc” extra of an intermediate Python dependency. These will not require rebuilding. I have confirmed I can build each successfully into https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/music/grpc-1.39/, and grpc Python bindings are historically mostly forward-compatible, so it is likely that no action should be required by these packages’ maintainers. Still, they should have also received this email directly.

  - buildstream
  - python-chirpstack-api
  - python-etcd3
  - python-google-api-core
  - python-google-cloud-iam
  - python-googleapis-common-protos
  - python-opencensus
  - python-opencensus-proto
  - python-proto-plus
  - python-xds-protos

The following package does not rebuild successfully, but it is orphaned and the problems appear unrelated to grpc:

  - python-opentelemetry