Re: Java packaging issue on EPEL7

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 4:49 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 20/07/2021 05:03, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > Source code for
> > pycharm is apparently available: if you'd like to get that into EPEL
> > or Fedora, I'd suggest you start from source.
>
> I know, but Java stack on Fedora is completely broken. PyCharm CE cannot
> be completely built from sources, that's why we uses COPR instead of the
> main Fedora repository.
>
> > If you're going to to that, please reflect it in the
> > name of your packages, say as pycharm-community_bin.
>
> We're not on Arch Linux.

You're violating the bundling and naming practices that EPEL and
Fedora have used for years, especially their insistence that they
build from source, not repackaging bundled binaries from someone else
into an RPM. There are a whole stack of security reasons to discourage
that, and assuring the original source code and build tools are
available for others to modify is vital to "free software" in the GPL
sense.

To quote you: "PyCharm CE cannot be completely built from sources". If
that were completely true, it could not be built on COPR. If it's
broken on Fedora, please, work with *that*, and I suspect that
resolving that will resolve the missing dependency issue.